Thai Style Peppersoup with Chicken Balls
Our chef partner, Chef Fregz, incorporates an oriental twist to the popular Nigerian dish.
Appliance: Miele Oven
Preparation Time: Conventional Heat for 30 - 40 mins
- Combine all ingredients listed in the chicken ball recipes except meatball, in a blender purée till almost fine with texture and set in a small container.
- Add half of the mix to the chicken mince and mix. Test a small batch in the pan to check for seasoning. You may want a tiny bit more salt or something.
- Roll up the chicken into mini golf sized balls. And set aside in the fridge to firm up.
- Place the chicken mince in a bowl. Add the ginger, garlic, fish sauce and Coriander to the chicken mince. Add the egg and mix gently. Add the 1 tbsp of the soup base to the mince as well. Roll into Mini golf sized balls and set aside.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken balls and fry until brown- do not cook the chicken balls through. Place on a dish and keep aside.
- Place your chicken bones with the cloves of garlic and lemongrass in a 200C oven and roast for 30-40 mins or until browned and the juices have run out.
- Add into a large pot the water, Cameron pepper, shombo chili, roasted chicken bones and all its juices, the toasted pepper soup spice, the lemongrass, salt, garlic, onions and leave to simmer for 30mins on a medium heat. Drain the liquid and return to the pot. Add the chicken balls and leave to simmer for 5mins. Top with more water if you need as as well as peppersoup spice. Finish off with freshly chopped chillies of your choice, fresh Thai basil or regular basil or scent leaves.
- Taste and check for seasoning and serve. This dish can be served with warm soft rolls or crusty sourdough bread, yam or sweet potato for a more filling meal!
1kg Chicken Mince (thigh meat bones reserved)
4 Tbsp Ginger
3 Tbsp pureed garlic
4 Tbsp Finely chopped coriander
4 Tbsp Fish Sauce
2 Tbsp lemongrass root cleaned
5 Long red chillies (shombo pepper)
5 Tbsp spring onions white part or small onion roughly chopped
1 Tbsp white or black pepper
8 Tbsp Freshly Ground Pepper soup Spice (or to your taste)
2 medium or 1 large onion sliced
1 Tbsp Cameroon pepper
1 Tbsp Dried Pepper
6 long chillies cut in half